Sunday 29 May 2016

CHERUB: Black Friday (Series 2, Book 3 of 5) by Robert Muchamore

"The instructor was six feet tall, in his early twenties with a solid physique. He had blue-green eyes, and blond hair... '...I'm Mr Adams, but I'd prefer it if you call me James'." (page 13)

So, here we are. Review number three this month, with less than a week to go until the official release of New Guard. Black Friday was published in 2013 and I was lucky to get enough birthday money to have a trip to Edinburgh, for their Book Festival, to get my copy signed.


And the money was well spent on this book too! I would've been more than happy with Black Friday being the last ever CHERUB book, due to it's sheer brilliance, and not just because it has the return of James Adams, Campus legend and man of my dreams... ;)

Black Friday is everything Guardian Angel wasn't. It's pacey, with action on every page, full of funny moments but tinged with sadness and serious moments too. All of it is covered, as usual, in Rob's style of let's write something outrageous and see if my editors will let me keep it in. We see the return of James Adams, Bruce Norris, Amy Collins, Lauren, Rat, Kyle, Gabrielle, Kevin Sumner, Jake Parker (and mentions of Bethany Parker) plus so many more. It's interesting to see the reveal of Kerry Chang too and her relationship with James since leaving CHERUB. The best throwback however, has to go to Jane Oxford (Series 1, Book 3: Maximum Security) but I won't spoil that for you - read it for yourself to see why she gets a mention/whole damn chapter!

Black Friday itself flicks between the USA, Kyrgyzstan, CHERUB campus and a top-secret location that I'm not going to spoil for you... (buy the book and read it already!) :P It's one of those books you just can't put down and you want to keep page turning until you realise you've run out of pages and the story is over.

The character references probably won't mean much to newer readers but for any diehard fans since Series 1, all the names mentioned above all have their own little scenarios to bring a smile or a memory to you. It's the perfect tie-it-all-up book. I was surprised but pleased when more CHERUB books were announced though, as I really did want to know more about the characters that left CHERUB from Series 1.

I've talked a lot (rambled probably...) about James and the gang through this review but actually, just as much happens with our newest recruits Ryan and Ning. We also get to know Ryan's brothers and his friends Alfie, Max and Grace more by following their training and life on campus.

A perfect end to the initial trilogy!

Laura's rating: 9.5/10
"On my first ever mission it was Joanna... ...I was only twelve, but I used to hang out with her after school and it felt so perfect. Then there was April. I didn't exactly fall in love with her but she was hot. My fourth mission I spent a summer night sleeping on a rooftop with a chick called Hannah. We watched the sun come up and it was beautiful. And then there's Kerry Chang, who I've kind of loved since I did basic training with her." (page 375)

No comments:

Post a Comment